Brainpickings is a blog that consistently inspires, informs and challenges me.
To celebrate its tenth birthday, Maria has shared ten lessons she has learned in a decade of running one of the web’s best little corners.
- Allow yourself the uncomfortable luxury of changing your mind.
- Do nothing for prestige or status or money or approval alone.
- Be generous with your time and your resources and with giving credit and, especially, with your words.
- Build pockets of stillness into your life.
- When people try to tell you who you are, don’t believe them.
- The cult of productivity has its place, but worshipping at its altar daily robs us of the very capacity for joy and wonder that makes life worth living — for “how we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives.”
- Expect anything worthwhile to take a long time.
- Seek out what magnifies your spirit.
- Don’t be afraid to be an idealist.
- Don’t just resist cynicism — fight it actively.
I really recommend you take a few minutes to read her full blog on these lessons here.