At the start of each year I like to pause and re-evaluate what I’m doing with my life. I generally keep my thoughts to myself. But I thought that if I stuck my musings online I might commit to actually making it happen for once!
So, I guess, here is my manifesto for the year.
In no particular order, here is what really matters to me:
- Being busy on projects I am passionate about, and doing them to the best of my ability
- Working on a project which can lead on to another one at least as challenging and appealing
- For the people I care about to be happy
- Relaxed time for myself. Time for campfire cooking, reading good books, watching good films, riding my bike, and sitting on a hill (guilt-free) to watch the sunset
- Keeping extremely fit – mentally and physically
- Getting out into wilderness / places I have never been
- Enough money to live comfortably on
- Setting an example to the people I care about
What is important to me in my work?
- Personally fulfilling
- Encouraging others
- Fun – work that I want to do
- Money:time ratio
- Integrity and authenticity
- Output I am proud of
- Realistically achievable within the time I have available
What are my criteria for career success?
- Enough money to live on
- Compatible with the people I care about being happy
- Peer regard
- Time spent doing what I love
- Free time
- Setting a good example
- Happy work / life balance
I measure “success” by:
- Enough money to live comfortably on. More than that is not an affirmation of success
- Personal pride in achievements
- The praise of people who I know and care about
- Sustainability of career as ‘working adventurer’
- Inspiring / encouraging others to fulfil their potential and chase their dreams
- Making the most of my days, my talents, my opportunities
Success is not:
- Fame / Celebrity / Adulation of people I do not know or respect
- Directly proportional to money earned
- Doing more impressive stuff than my peers
- Having a story to boast about at the next party
What about you? What are your plans for the new year? Let us know in the comments below.
If you’d like to follow my blog this year, please subscribe to my free monthly newsletter: