This year I will be spending Christmas in Kent. I thought it would be fun to walk there. I got up early and, after 9.5 hours of walking through pretty uninspiring landscapes, I made it with a suitably Christmas-sized appetite!
I decided to document my walk through live Twitter updates.
– Heading out my front door. I’m walking home for Xmas.
– The first grey of dawn. Walking past MI6 at Vauxhall.
– Commuters whizz past on bikes. Hmm… Perhaps I should have ridden?
– Big Ben peals 8am. London’s streets are quiet this morning.
– Trumpet rendition of O come all ye faithful drifts across the Thames
– Less than 2hrs and I stop for coffee. I am neither as tough or as tight as I used to be!
– At Tower Bridge now. Ticking off the icons.
– Grey sky, grey earth, grey people. East London is depressing me.
– Reached Canary Wharf, the former hub of smug.
– Not much Xmas cheer in Lewisham.
– Stare at the geezers to show them you’re not lightweight.
– Lewisham. A woman drags a dog down street as it tries to crap. Grim town.
– Into the eastern hemisphere at Greenwich.
– Eating a mince pie and walking through Greenwich park.
– Trees and green spaces are good for the soul on this walk.
– On Blackheath Common. Used to be v dangerous- highwaymen!
– On Blackheath Common. Where London marathon begins.
– is there a Mc-D’s on the a207 east of Blackheath?!
– On the ‘green chain walk’ now. A blessing to be off road.
– A long haul up Shooters Hill. Hoping it’s all downhill from here.
– Big long downhill- my kingdom for a bicycle!
– 5hrs walk from my house i see the first sheep and field. Goodbye London!
– Walking down an old roman road on my way home for Xmas.
– Food! I’m lovin’ it!
– Nothing looks or feels very Christmassy.
– Just waved at 2 grannies. Big grins. Think they fancy me…
– Just passed a pub that’s having a ‘meat raffle’ tonight! Gross!
– Approaching Dartford. Light seeping from an already pallid day.
– Only about 2 more hours to go.
– Firemen collecting cash for kids’ charity. First festive thing I’ve seen since London.
– I wish I had counted all the fast food joints on this walk. No wonder the UK is fat.
– 7.5 hrs wall from London and I cross the jammed m25.
– Reached Bluewater, a Mecca of materialism.
– Made it! 9.5 hrs walk from London to Kent. Time to relax now!
Merry Christmas to you all, and thank you for your support this year.