Even the Queen, ensconced in the very middle of Britain’s biggest city, is only a 15-mile yomp away from Â a great bivvy site in the woods by the Great Pond on Epsom Common. Nobody in the UK lives more than 15 miles from somewhere green, pretty, and invigorating to spend a night.
So why not pick a nice warm sunny weekend and give this a go yourself? This infographic will give you all the information you need.
Rules of the Bivvy Challenge
1. Your journey must start and finish at your front door
2. You must cover, through non-motorised means, a circular journey of at least 30 miles (or a distance that is moderately difficult for you)
3. It must take at least 24 hours
4. You must sleep outdoors (no tent) in a place you have never been before
5. You must have an outdoor swim
6. Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men
- Sleeping bag
- Bivvy bag
- or, for first-timers/misers/paupers/masochists, one of these cheap orange survival bags will do fine
Not Necessary Equipment:
- Everything else
If you want to know more about the world of “bivvying” I heartily recommend this book by Ronald Turnbull. It’s more amusing than a book about bivvy bags has any right to be.Â