OK, Al, Repeat after me…
“Keep this newsletter short. Don’t go off on a ramble. Keep this newsletter short. Don’t go off on a ramble. Keep this newsletter short. Don’t go off on a ramble….”
Right, I’mm ready! (Much readier, in fact, than I was this morning before jumping into an ice-covered lake by the M6. I hope that this newsletter brings you as much exhilaration and joy…)
- ARTICLE: South Pole expeditions are always a good place to find boldness, bravery and ego with a stunning backdrop. This season is no exception, with the contrasting stories of Colin, Lou and Borge making for great reading for anyone interested in this niche world. A juicy cocktail of narcissism, stoicism and proper adventurer epicness. (As a bonus, it’s written by David Roberts, whose writing I frequently champion.)
- BOOK: A celebration of self-delusion, You Are Not So Smart is an eye-opening book about the way we make decisions. You can dip into the concept through the book, blog or podcasts.
- VIDEO: I love Vimeo’s ‘Staff Picks’ (and have a not-secret ambition to earn one eventually. I sort-of-did here, but that was essentially down to my friend’s genius not me!) and so I enjoyed their annual collection of the Best Travel Films and the Best Action Sports Films.
- ADVENTURE: ‘Their Only Portrait’ is a story about giving a little bit of goodness and kindness and purpose to a fun bikepacking adventure in South America. Really nice idea.
- DO SOMETHING: a calendar of tiny, simple, but rewarding ways to help you overcome a busy diary, get out into nature, and pay a little more attention.
- EVENT: I am sorry that this is only in London, but the annual Night of Adventure should be a cracker. Tickets on sale now. Take a friend who needs a kick up the backside!
- TINY GOOD DEED: Switch to Ecosia, a search engine that uses 80% of its profits to plant trees.