I am a big fan of Sweden (the raft above comes from this wonderful trip). And I was out in Sweden again last month (making the little film on Fear I shared last time). But I fear I may have to read the small print of my contract with my sponsor HaglÃ¶fs regarding the England-Sweden match at the World Cup this weekend. I shall be pausing an overnight canoe trip to watch the film on my phone on the riverbank. ‘Nervous’ doesn’t begin to cover it…
I haven’t included images in this newsletter as they have apparently being causing havoc for many people reading on Outlook (i.e. those of you with proper jobs). I have hired a very clever man to fix all the design problems with my newsletter. But as I found him via this newsletter in the first place I’mm happy to report that he never seems to be at his desk. “Just off for a week of camping” was the last I heard from him. 👍
Today I want to share some material that I hope will help young people who are planning their first adventures and generally trying to figure stuff out. But I know from my survey that 85% of you are at least 30, so I’mll begin with some nice large-print brainfood for you lot…
- I really enjoyed putting together this little film: The truth behind adventure film-making
- Before drones, there were pigeons. I love this early aerial photography.
- The tale of Perce Blackborow, who was a stowaway on Shackleton’s expedition to Antarctica in 1914
- I am enjoying following Ed Pratt’s round the world ride on a unicycle. Follow him on Facebook, YouTube or Instagram.
I have been working for a while on a brochure to try to help young people who are planning their first big adventure
. Please do forward it to anyone who might find it helpful.
- If you’re pondering a big adventure, or a significant change in direction in your life, then I hope my piece on escaping to where you want to be might help.
- A new film I made about making a career out of adventure(or any sort of self-employed creative stuff, really)
- Some thoughts on planning a big adventure
- My one and only business plan for life
- The always-insightful Wait But Why offers career advice for us all
- And TED speakers offer advice on what they wish they had been told when they graduated
One last thing – my new book is coming out in August. You can preorder it now.