We are into June already. Midsummer is approaching. It’s not long now until the longest day of the year.
In other words: it’s time to start making the most of the summer, making the most of the light evenings, and getting out on microadventures!
Today begins the third annual Summer Solstice Microadventure Challenge. Last year we had hundreds of entries. It was fantastic to see people all over the world giving it a go.
In addition, anyone who participates will receive a free, personalised Ordnance Survey map from MyMiniMap.
Here is the plan for people who like a similar level of detail in their life as me:
- Go on a microadventure between now and June.
- Share your story online.
- Win stuff (maybe). Feel good (definitely, unless it rains like last year).
Here is the detailed plan:
- Go on a microadventure. This can be anything you like (ideas below), anywhere in the world. It must entail sleeping out in the wild for at least one night, without a tent. Bivvy bags and hammocks are good. So too are morning swims in rivers.
- Share your story online. Add the hashtag #microadventure to anything you post on Twitter or Instagram. You can post stuff on the Microadventures Facebook Group (please ‘Like‘ it if you haven’t already). If you make a film (hint: we like films, even on Vine or Instagram) or write a blog post, please tag it with ‘microadventure’ and send me the link.
- The closing date for entries is bedtime on June 30th.
- If you’ve never been on a microadventure before these FAQs will help answer questions like “what do I need?“, “where shall I go?“, and “isn’t it scary?“. Any other questions, ask me.
- If you’re new to camping etc, try something simple like this or this.
- If you work in an office try this, this, this or this.
- If you’ve got eager friends try this, this or this.
- If you’ve got no friends try this.
- If you want some exercise try this, this, this or this.
- If you like swimming try this or this.
- If you’ve got kids, try this.
To get your free Ordnance Survey map for your microadventure, Tweet the guys at MyMiniMap and they’ll sort out the details from you:
@MyMiniMap I’mm doing the Solstice Microadventure Challenge & would love a free waterproof #MyMiniMap! #microadventure http://www.alastairhumphreys.com/summer-solstice-microadventure-2014
For a bit of inspiration, here are some previous winning entries:
If you have any questions about this microadventure challenge, please get in touch. It’s pretty simple though – go and do something cool, then stick your stories online somewhere that I can see them.
‘” Alastair Humphreys (@Al_Humphreys) June 6, 2014