I usually take a book of poetry on my travels. You can re-read them, and they also make you think.
Here are 10 of my favourite poems of journeys.
I’ll put one up in full on the site each Sunday for the next 10 weeks.
– Ulysses: Alfred, Lord Tennyson
– Sea-Fever: John Masefield
– Poetry of Departures: Philip Larkin
– The Bright Field: RS Thomas
– To an English Friend in Africa: Ben Okri
– High Flight: John Gillespie Magee
– The Call of the Wild: Robert Service
– Home from Abroad: Laurie Lee
– Journey of the Magi: TS Eliot (I also love the Waste Land but do not profess to understand it at all!)
– The Explorer: Rudyard Kipling
Have I missed your favourite poem? Have your say in the comments…