I’mve just watched a film that rivals Searching for Sugarman as my favourite film of the year.
Jiro Dreams of Sushi is a documentary about a little sushi restaurant run by an old man in a subway station in Tokyo. With 3 Michelin stars. Both the film and the restaurant are magnificent.
The passion and skill of Jiro is simply inspirational. It is a film about a relentless pursuit of perfection. Here are a few choice quotes from the film, followed by an appetising trailer. Itadakimasu!
- You have to fall in love with your work. You must dedicate your life to mastering your skill. That’s the secret of success and is the key to being regarded honourably.
- Ultimate simplicity leads to purity.
- It’s just about making an effort and repeating the same thing every day.
- Take yourself seriously and you will get good.
- It has to be better than last time…
- There is always a yearning to achieve more.
- I feel ecstatic all day.
- Even when you think you know it all, you’re just fooling yourself.
- It’s not about the money.
- Always doing what you are told doesn’t mean you will succeed in life.