A few years ago I used to watch a lot of films, particularly documentaries, and jot down notes for my blog (like Jiro, Sugarman, Man on Wire, and Anvil ). The death of Lovefilm led to me stopping, unfortunately.
So I enjoyed watching the Steven Spielberg documentary recently. Here are a few things that made me think:
- Spielberg watched Lawrence of Arabia as a kid. It almost made him give up on his dream to become a movie director as the bar seemed too high for him to compete with!
- “I need to be feeling, Im really not sure what Im doing. And when that verges on panic, I get great ideas.”
- “I didnt know if I was going to have a career from this, or where it was going to go. I just knew that it filled up the time and gave me a tremendous amount of satisfaction.”
- He was part of a groupof directors who were friends (Spielberg, Lucas, Coppola, Scorsese). They spent a lot of time together. They were just trying to help each other out when they saw things they thought could be improved.
- “You dont want to lose the child in you because thats what keeps a smile on your face.”